Yes, Thanksgiving is just one week away – the food will be delicious and the company will be great. Now it is time to get organized for the day after Thanksgiving. Get organized for Black Friday. Black Friday is the busiest day of the shopping year in terms of actual shoppers but not necessarily money spent. With so many people in the stores it is important you plan your day so it can be as productive as possible.
People search “Black Friday” online earlier and earlier each year. This year, online searchers began searching the term as early as August while just 2 years ago they didn’t search for “Black Friday” until 14 weeks before the big day. This means not only has the popularity of Black Friday increased but much to my pleasure shoppers are getting organized earlier!
The experts suggest the best way to plan ahead is to go online before going in the store. Here are a few websites to help you strategize your Black Friday shopping.
dealnews.com – click on the Black Friday tab for a list of ads by retailer
slickdeals.net – click on the Black Friday tab for a list of the best deals by retailer
retailmenot.com – offers coupons available for Black Friday only
Here are some tips for Black Friday shopping:
- Don’t go alone. Take a friend to help the day go more smoothly (i.e. one can wait in line while one shops if absolutely necessary).
- Make a list and check it twice. Make a list of who you’re shopping for and what you plan to buy.
- If you see something online or in an ad you plan to buy, take the ad or print out the web page and take it with you. It will make communicating with sales personnel at the store easier if there is a discrepancy over price or if you need assistance locating the item.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Black Friday is not a fashion show. Remember you may have to park far away and you may have to stand in line for an extended period of time so leave the stilettos at home!
- Leave the kids at home. Unless your child loves to shop and has the patience of a saint I suggest you leave the kids at home. Everyone will be happier.
- Patience and politeness will go a long way. On Black Friday everyone wants the best deal and everyone wants to get home. So do not forget to take along your manners and to use them. It will make the day more tolerable for everyone.